VMS Service Technician
Voluntary Milking Solution (VMS) Service Technicians are responsible for the installation, operation and maintenance of computer and robotic systems used in various dairies. They must be proficient in multiple skill components including electricity, electronics, fluid power, mechanical systems, etc. VMS Service Technicians perform the administration, configuration, design, maintenance, programming and qualification of various systems, while also troubleshooting any issues that might occur. The VMS Service Technician is responsible for responding to service calls under the direction of the local Service Manager.
- Responsible for the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of robotic dairy equipment.
- Service automated and/or conventional dairy milking equipment which involves experience in electrical, electronics, compressed air, vacuum systems, and hydraulics.
- Disassemble and reassemble VMS equipment to make repairs, such as replacement of defective circuit boards, sensors, controllers, encoders, photo sensors and servomotors.
- Install new VMS systems in stationary positions or on tracks. Attach wires between controllers.
- Install, program, and repair programmable controllers, robot controllers, end-of-arm tools, or conveyors.
- Perform preventive or corrective maintenance on robotic systems or components.
- Test performance of robotic assemblies using instruments such as oscilloscopes, voltmeters, and bridges.
- Troubleshoot robotic systems using knowledge of microprocessors, programmable controllers, electronics, circuit analysis, mechanics, sensor or feedback systems, hydraulics, and pneumatics.
- Align, fit, or assemble component parts using hand tools, power tools, fixtures, templates.
- Document robotics test procedures and results.
- Provide expertise to continue advancement of automated systems throughout the site.
- Train customers or other personnel to install, use, or maintain robots.
- Maintain service records of robotic equipment or automated production systems.
- Maintain inventories of production supplies such as sensors and cables.
- Must manage time efficiently while completing all necessary paperwork on a daily basis.
- Provide a high level of customer service, responding to customer needs and working to satisfy customer expectations.
- Emergency on-call servicing, as part of a rotation schedule with other Service Technicians.
- Complete any service calls to the customer’s satisfaction before vacating any job site.
- Drive a service vehicle and maintain the vehicle and parts on board.
- Maintain a clean and well-kept uniform and truck.
- Adapts productively to change, demonstrates flexibility in approach to work, performs all duties as assigned, and complies with all safe work practices.
- Must possess the ability to communicate orally with customers, vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential and expected.
- Contributes to the overall success by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 3+ years of industrial and/or automation maintenance experience required preferably working on dairy processing equipment.
- Understanding of industrial electrical systems; industrial pneumatic systems, industrial hot water systems, industrial refrigeration systems, motors, compressors, gear boxes and pumps.
- Knowledge of dairy processing systems troubleshooting and repair.
- Strong work ethic with mechanical, and or electrical skills.
- Strong knowledge of computer networks, Windows and Linux.
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Understanding of specialty tools and equipment necessary for troubleshooting and repairing dairy equipment.
- Flexibility with work hours, and the ability to work overtime, nights, and weekend hours when needed.
- Outstanding ability to provide job status communication to customer and supervisors.