The Structural Engineer is primarily responsible for structural design optimization and code compatibility of the company’s products, components, and applications. You will be a key member of the company’s Product Development group, whose mission is to lead and evolve solar by providing the best solar mounting products on the planet. We do this by focusing on intuitive, elegant, and proven solutions.
- Performing concept trades to discern the most promising solutions for cost, performance, and reliability, while meeting all applicable codes and standards.
- Implement rapid, quick-turn design and analysis capabilities to support early concept evaluation and development efforts, and supporting project-specific applications and inquiries.
- Working with AHJ’s and 3rd party engineers in order to ensure ease of permitting for our customers.
- Master relevant material, process, and engineering standards (e.g. ASCE, IBC, UBC, ASTM, AISC, etc.) and be able to provide support for decisions from the perspective of code and standards compliance.
- Design guidance and optimization.
- Defining load demands based upon Product Requirements.
- Structural requirements definition.
- BS in Mechanical, Structural, or Civil Engineering.
- Structural design experience/skills to support high volume product design (such as practical FEA modeling during structural deficiency investigation and design optimization).
- Abundant and practical knowledge in building, structural, and solar codes (ASCE, IBC, IRC, NDS, ASTM, UL, SEAOC, etc.) and needed experience on resolving AHJ inquiry.
- Solid and comprehensive mechanical/structural analytical knowledge to understand the mechanical system structural performance and weak link, the root cause of the failure.
- The risk/reliability based structural engineering judgement to apply the proper safety factor and assess the product usage risks.
- Comprehensive knowledge in mechanical load test design, application (fixture work), and results interpretation.
- Strong structural insight into the effects of applied load on structural assemblies, their components and interfaces, load paths, deformed shapes, and stability and fatigue over the design lifetime.
- Strong understanding of static and dynamic loading, strength of materials, and the interplay between stability, internal and external forces, reactions, and displacements.
- At least 5 years of experience.
- Ability to travel as much as 25% of your time.