Sr. Product Design Engineer
Currently seeking a creative Product Design Engineer to work on commercial and residential system solar products. The ideal candidate will be skilled in understanding customer needs and product usability while creating exciting, innovative and value differentiated concepts through brainstorming, fast mockup/prototyping and other techniques. Must have previous experience developing detailed designs including engineering and test of components through collaborating with suppliers and have the ability to make product drawing and specification improvements in order to improve user experience, improve function, or reduce costs.
- Understanding customer needs through user primary and secondary research, curiosity and customer interaction.
- Generating and presenting wide ranging concepts to meet customer and business needs using brainstorming, sketches, quick mockups, simple CAD and other techniques.
- Balancing our brand DNA and design ethos with project imperatives including cost and schedule.
- Working internal and externally to develop and verify the best concepts.
- Developing and engineering designs using 3D CAD, fast prototyping and cross-functional input.
- Creating production-level drawings.
- Collaborating with suppliers on design for manufacturing strategies.
- Applying sound processes to manage uncertainties including prototyping to verify fit, function, adherence to standards and defining test and qualification plans.
- Support and managing project through regular project meetings, schedules, cost and uncertainty/risk burndown.
- Strong understanding of the product development phase/gate process.
- BS/BA in relevant engineering field (Mechanical, Materials, Aerospace etc.)
- Minimum 2 years applicable work experience.
- Experience designing with various manufacturing processes such as extrusion, casting, die-casting, cold heading, and stampings using materials including aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel.
- Experience developing and launching products for outdoor use requiring structural and electrical performance over the designed lifetime.
- Knowledge in Statics and Mechanics of Materials. Understanding and obtaining reaction loads and moments.
- Calculate stresses from loads applied, and identify the full range of failure modes for a given product.
- Experience with solar product development experience
- Ability to meet with domestic and overseas suppliers in person and virtually.
- Strong component design, 3D modeling, and drawing skills, preferably SolidWorks.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across functional groups and diverse audiences, while working in adynamic team and project focused environment.
- An enthusiastic collaborative and learning focused approach to product design.
- Ability to use basic shop tools and equipment, and measurement tools to build mockups and prototypes.
- Assess usability, fit, form and function, and effect on product requirements.
- Construction and building experience is a plus.
- Experience with UL requirements, product certification and ISO is a plus.
- Ability to travel as much as 20% of your time, including occasional international travel.