The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely processing of payroll cycles and providing assistance with all aspects of timekeeping, records maintenance and various special projects related to the payroll function.
- Prepares payroll by collecting and auditing timesheets, maintains accuracy of payroll and employee data regarding taxes, deductions, earnings, and hours worked.
- Processes regular weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, and off-cycle payrolls, including regular wages, commissions, incentives, and special payments such as benefit/pay coordination payments and reimbursements.
- Ensures any payroll changes affecting compensation for the payroll period are properly and timely captured.
- Processes payroll adjustments for employee changes, new hires, terminations, or other payroll-related requirements.
- Processes garnishments and wage attachments.
- Performs duties in accordance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, company policies, and/or Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Responds to inquiries related to payroll information and payroll taxes from employees, government entities, internal and external auditors, and others.
- Reconciles payroll expenses GL Account and maintain controls related to payroll process.
- Manages concur and or other employee reimbursement process by reviewing authorizations, receipts, and processing payments.
- Prepares ad hoc reporting as requested by various business units and component companies.
- Maintains high confidentiality and care with employee, company, and HRIS/payroll information.
- Research payroll related bank reconciliation inquiries.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Associate degree with emphasis in Payroll or Accounting related field. Bachelor’s degree and/or FPC preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in Payroll, with experience processing payroll for multi-state, multi-pay groups and/or union workforces.
- Experience with TriNet or similar payroll services.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification a plus.
- Practical knowledge of the techniques, concepts, and considerations pertinent to effective payroll administration required.
- Knowledge of California and federal employment and wage and hour laws and regulations required.
- Experience with international payroll a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local wage and tax laws.
- Demonstrated understanding of timekeeping and payroll processing software.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with accuracy, prioritize multiple tasks, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work productively, efficiently, & effectively with initiative and drive under a tight timeline and pressure with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to seek resources as needed.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to adapt to an ever-changing workforce with frequently changing schedules and locations.
- Proven customer service skills while maintaining a confidential work environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion.
- Manages positive and productive relationship with external vendors.