Director of Field Operations
We are looking for a talented Director of Field Operations who will be a critical part of the leadership team and will be responsible for company-wide operations at customer sites in the field or warehouse. This role is a full-time, permanent position based in Phoenix, Arizona. We are looking for someone that has experience in both start-ups and larger companies and has breadth of experience in directing operations in the field to assemble, disassemble, remove, package and ship solar hardware. Primary responsibilities include developing comprehensive decommissioning project plans, working with decommissioning partners to ensure all solar hardware is disassembled and removed off the site or warehouse, recruiting and managing contract labor as needed, working closely and communicating with customers on project status, and developing a set of best practices for solar project decommissioning. You will be a key member to help guide a fast-growing company to scale and profitability.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with lots of challenges and opportunities, this is the right role for you. Since we are an early-stage company with strong growth prospects, there will be many opportunities for career advancement. This position is highly strategic and reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and initially to the CEO.
- Surveying customer project sites to understand and document the project conditions, issues, challenges and overall opportunity.
- Developing comprehensive solar project decommissioning plans that include disassembly of equipment, removal and packaging of the equipment and proper logistics and handling of used and destroyed solar panels, inverters, racks, conduit and batteries.
- Keeping the de-installation pace smooth and efficient through owning the de-installation and removal process from site survey to final completion.
- Reporting operations failures and successes in a constructive manner that improves processes over time.
- Proper tracking of tools and materials ensuring costs stay low.
- Owning safety culture and ensuring proper deployment and use of all proper safety equipment.
- Proactive communication with customers about status of project plans, decommissioning and project status.
- Working with decommissioning partners and 3PLs to ensure proper and timely removal of hardware on the site.
- Overseeing solar panel and hardware testing on site to determine status and condition of equipment in the field or in the warehouse.
- Working closely in-house with the recycling and logistics teams to ensure the retired hardware is packaged and shipped properly to destined locations.
- Extensive domestic travel is required to visit project sites and customers.
- 10+ years’ experience in overseeing field operations, construction and/or project management.
- 3+ years working in commercial or utility-scale solar; knowledge of solar panels, inverters, racking and overall solar hardware.
- Ability to understand solar project site designs and as-builts.
- Experience providing superior customer service and support.
- Experience with developing robust project plans and implementing them.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
- Experience in a fast-paced organization with ability to adapt to and work in a fast growth- oriented and rapid changing environment.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over same.
- Ability to operate with substantial latitude in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional work ethic with a great attitude to work hard, have fun and make the world a better place.